Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fenced in...

So, it's been awhile. Sorry about that. I've been reflecting....a lot, in fact. All I can offer as an excuse is that I took two Tylenol PM after midnight several weeks ago and I'm only slightly exaggerating when I tell you that I woke up face down on the bathroom floor three days later wearing a clown nose with Veggietales blaring in the far reaches of my consciousness. And I just haven't been the same since.... kinda in a walking Dyphenhydramine daze....

Thursday night I got my haircut...a lot....and layered....and straightened. That's not the story here though. A tangent really... but, I'm gonna run with it for a sec... as David was covering his salon floor with wisps and chunks of my mane, he kept staring at my lips. And I mean staring...which of course was making me very self-conscious. Very. Self-conscious. Anyway, just as I was about to ask if I had broccoli hanging out, or maybe if it was time for an upper lip wax, he said (in a very even tone), "Sorry I've been staring at your lips...it's just that they are SO SPARKLY." Hmmm, sparkly anything is usually a compliment in my book, but in a quick flash I recalled M. asking if she could put lipgloss on me before I walked out of the house. So, I let her and of course she chose the most pink, the most sparkly, the most glossy Dora lip gloss in all the world... (can't say that I fault her for this). He bends down in front of me and says, "I'm pretty sure there is actual glitter in there." Yes, there was. And yes, as long as I have little girls to blame it on, I just may wear it again....

As much as I could go on about lipgloss, the real story here is what I came home to after the great hair massacre. I walked in the kitchen and there were two fish. In a bowl. Swimming around. Alive. And my palms started sweating. And my breath shallowed. And I felt a little woozy and nauseous... and for me, all of these familiar symptoms point to two words... commitment issues. (Well...and pregnancy...but for this reflection, they pointed to commitment issues...)

Apparently, Lily Pad and Isabelle (Yes, my girls had already given them names) had been given to us at some military family appreciation night... which is really great, but why does everything given by the military involve some kind of commitment....sheesh. You have access to my husband 24/7, 365, I've moved 9 times in the past 10 years and I've have to say good-bye to good friends every new PCS cycle. So really... something alive? That I am supposed to keep alive? Ay caramba. As you can imagine, this "situation" had little to do with these two fish and a lot to do with my commitment issues. So, after I took a little break from the fish and breathed into a paper bag for several minutes, I reflected. 'Cause that's what I do when I'm being neurotic.

Ok Tava... (I usually only call myself by my first name if I'm acting ridiculous... or if I get too sarcastic... or if I just really need to get my point across, but it is nice to know that we're on a first name basis...) What gives? You've been married 10 years, you have two kids, a dog, a house, two magazine subscriptions, you buy in bulk and you're freaking out about having to commit to two goldfish? This isn't normal. To which I responded, "I never claimed to be normal... and I think I've really come a long way from where I started...so just. back. off."

I quickly took a mental inventory of the things that once made me feel "fenced in." Alright let's see... relationships, memberships, journals, leases, watches and bracelets, sleeping on the same side of the bed every night, car payments, tattoos, checking out library books, RSVPs, address labels, the neckline on t-shirts, plans more than 3 days in advance, buying items in bulk, bumper stickers, seat belts, putting my name on a waiting list, potted plants, owning things that are alive, lay-a-way, enrolling in something, speed limits, watching a show on TV regularly, any type of subscription and the list just goes on and on from there.... Do these sound ridiculous to you? I can assure you that I have a valid reason for each and every one.... You see how bad my problem is?? I even feel fenced in by ending punctuation... which is evident by all of the ellipses that I use when I write... What the heck? I have managed to shave a few of them off of my list (mostly by convincing myself that they are really Jay's commitments).... but I'm a little embarrassed to admit that many still remain...

Well, as much as I'd love to introduce you to Lily Pad, I'm afraid after less than 24 hours in my care, Isabelle is the only one that hasn't been flushed... Sorry Lily P, rest in peace.... and Dear Air Force, how about some stickers and a little thing of bubbles for the kids next time...

So my Dears, please tell me... what makes you feel "fenced in"?

6 comments:

Our Traveling Circus said...

Why would any organization give away live animals to children? Why am I not surprised that a military organization came up with the brilliant idea?

Loved this one, Tava! You really should write a book!

I feel fenced in by the eight (8!) large bottles of Welch's grape jelly in my cabinet and the hundreds of thousands of pb & j sandwiches in my future!

Leah Marie Brown said...

Living on base. When my husband comes home for lunch on days I have a lot to do. Spending more than three consecutive hours with my mother. Waiting and waiting (and waiting) on orders. When someone sits close to me in an otherwise empty theater. Air Force "social" invitations.

A very fab post, Tava! Always a pleasure to gaze at your lovely reflection!

gnt said...

NURSING! Thank you for giving me some relief, Similac!!!

I love you, Tava, and miss you tons.

John "Dexie" Decker said...

Generally fences make me feel fenced in. Interestingly I am addicted to commitment, but there is of course a neurotic twist I hate the follow through! I am always the first to raise my hand!
stranger- "would anyone in the room like to help build a new church, run a silent auction, feed our venomous snake collection and watch a few of the homeless kids?"
Me - "UMMMMMMM YEAH! I would love to do all those things, sign me up buttercup"

Then after the high of volunteering and my hand gets tired from the self inflicted back slapping, I fall asleep on my couch watching Ancient Aliens, drunk with almost self actualization. By the way you should see how many 3 issue magazines I have because I "forget" to send in the obligatory payment for the remainder of the years issues(dot dot dot)

Johnny D

scs said...

Two thoughts- first, the lipgloss made me cry with giggles! Yesterday I dropped the girls off at school with a HUGE pink bow in my hair that Adri put there- totally forgot. Couldn't figure out why I was getting the funny looks...
Second, you are also fenced in by calling people back ;) Had to add that one!
What am I fenced in by? Hmm...I'm not fenced in enough by a budget (can you tell it was a Target day? I love/hate that place), I am fenced in by nap times, though I'm hysterical without them. Good question lady, always keepin' me thinkin'! Miss you!

TAVA... said...

@ Circus- yes, seeing your future in lined up jelly jars would definitely make me feel fenced in too!! @ Ms. Brown- Ha! All of 'em... funny... and I call those Air "Forced" socials. @ gnt- Is that my sweet Tessie?? NURSING!!! Totally fences you in! I can't believe that one didn't come to mind right away.... @ Johnny D- All that you said is hilarious (as usual) but would be funnier if it weren't 100% true.... But could you do me a solid next time and not list my number as your contact number? @ SCS~ The pink bow is funny...I once had an entire conversation with a lady not realizing the my neck and chest were covered in Little Mermaid stickers... good times. Yes, budgets, nap times and (oops!) calling people back... all good ones... ;)